Zaheer Abbas, the president of cricket's governing body, said Monday his organisation could not intervene to revive regular matches between India and Pakistan after the two countries cancelled high-level talks last weekend.
The arch-rivals were tentatively scheduled to play their first full series since 2007 in the United Arab Emirates, from December to January.
But the cancellation of high-level talks between the two countries’ national security advisers that were scheduled to begin Sunday has put the tour in serious doubt.
India-Pakistan relations are at their lowest point in over a decade, with the two regularly trading fire over the disputed de facto border of Kashmir in recent months.
Former batting great Abbas said the matter was out of the ICC's hands.
India stopped playing series featuring only the two countries following the 2008 Mumbai attacks, which were planned by militants inside Pakistan.
Last year both countries agreed to play six series from 2015 to 2023 with Pakistan hosting four, subject to clearance from the Indian government.